Giants-Patriots: 6 winners

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Giants-Patriots: 6 winners

liny195
[url=http://www.giantsauthorizedshops.com/authentic-b.j.-hill-jersey]B.J. Hill Jersey[/url] , 4 losers from the Giants’ final preseason game The preseason is now in the books, and the next time we see the New York Giants on the field, the games count for real. But just because the Giants game today didn’t count, doesn’t mean it was meaningless — far from it. The fourth preseason game is generally overlooked, but for many players it might be the most important game of preseason, if not the year. Just ask Damon Harrison:So then, who were the winners, and losers, in tonight’s game? WinnersDonte Deayon - The undersized corner might be the Giants’ biggest winner. Deayon is fighting for a roster spot, and his size — at 5-foot-9, 160 pounds — has always led to questions about his ability to play at the NFL level.But one thing that has never been in question is his ball skills. Deayon had 17 interceptions and 25 passes defensed in college, and reports of him picking off one Giants’ quarterback or another were a regular occurance. Those ball skills showed up against the Patriots with a pair of interceptions in the first half, and nearly a third, as well as a pass defensed in the third quarter.Amba Etta-Tawo - Etta-Tawo flashed in the offseason program, catching everything thrown to him. He didn’t appear to carry that momentum over to training cap and never really flashed in games. Until this game, when he got free on an innovative take on the “mesh” concept and turned a short pass into a 41 yard catch-and-run. Chad Wheeler - The Giants wanted to get a long look at Wheeler, and he largely responded well. Wheeler got beat a couple times, but also had some very nice blocks.Tae Davis - Davis played a huge number of snaps against the Patriots and had a nice game. He seemed to be all over the field as the moneybacker in the base defense and an outside linebacker in nickel packages. Davis has been stuck behind Ray-Ray Armstrong in that role, but he showed up in a chance to show what he has to offer.Tyrell Chavis - The undrafted rookie defensive tackle is unlikey to make the Giants’ 53-man roster, but he consistently showed up in the Patriots’ backfield. The 291-pound defensive tackle proved to be too quick for New England’s reserve linemen. Penetrating defensive tackles are always coveted in the NFL, and Chavis might have shown enough to secure a practice squad spot.Jhurell Pressley - Pressley has only been a Giant for two weeks, but he has flashed brightly in his limited time with the team. He has proven tough to bring down and explosive with some open field in front of him. Pressley might have forced the Giants’ hand when it comes to how many running backs they carry. At the very least he and Robert Martin have made excellent cases for the practice squad. LosersDarian Thompson - The other DB the Giants got in 2016 from Boise State comes up a loser this game. Thompson hasn’t do anything to hurt his case, except for get hurt. Thomas’ greatest asset as a free safety is his mental processing, but the Giants seem to want a free safety with cornerback skills. He needed to be on the field to show that he can play the free safety spot as deep as James Bettcher consistently calls it.Andrew Adams - Adams didn’t get on the field until later in the game, which is a bad sign in and of itself, but then he showed up in a bad way on a pair of touchdowns by the Patriots. Both times he was drawn out of his free safety position by play action.Kalif Raymond - It’s tough to call Raymond a “loser” tonight, because it isn’t anything he did wrong. In fact, he played well when he was on the field. He showed up as a receiver and on special teams. But, he always seemed to be victimized by mistakes on the part of players around him. Lauletta missed him on deep passes that would have been big gains if not touchdowns, and a long punt return was nullified by a block in the back. Penalties - This was easily the sloppiest game the Giants have played this preseason. They routinely helped the Patriots by extending drives with penalties, including a trio for leading with the crown of the helmets. The Giants need to iron this out before playing the Jacksonville Jaguars next week — The Giants face a daunting test against the Jaguars’ defense and can’t afford to give their offense any help.Pat Shurmur embracing Giants history, more takeaways When New York Giants head coach Pat Shurmur spoke to the media after practice Tuesday morning, he didn’t speak much about individual players. Perhaps it is a sign of how the team is coming together before as the regular season approaches, but instead of players he talked about about what it means to be a Giant and building team chemistry. On what it means to be a GiantThe retirement of Victor Cruz is obviously an emotional day for the Giants and it seemed to put the head coach in something of a retrospective mood. Shurmur said, “Victor Cruz. He retired today. What a great Giant. I remember playing against him when I was in Philly and we were certainly well aware of the impact he could have on a ball game.” That respect for Giants’ history, however [url=http://www.giantsauthorizedshops.com/authentic-saquon-barkley-jersey]Authentic Saquon Barkley Jersey[/url] , didn’t start with Victor Cruz’s retirement. Shurmur has been reaching out to past players and coaches since he arrived in New York for perspective and any tips he, or his team, might glean from their experience. “I think what’s important is they understand what it means to be a Giant from a player’s perspective, and they understand what it takes to win Super Bowls,” Shurmur said. “I talk to everybody, not just players. I called some former (Giants) coaches as well, because I think it’s important to hear their perspective, and I’m always looking for perspective. Maybe there’s something that they say that might help me message the team, or maybe they’ll tell me something that was really special to them as they were building a champion, and so I think it’s important to embrace the great players from the past.”Antrel Rolle was at practice Tuesday, and Shurmur has reached out to Michael Strahan and Tiki Barber. It goes without saying that Cruz has an open invitation to show up in Giants-land. Shurmur said, “I had a chance to meet him [Cruz] and be around him, and he certainly doesn’t need an invite from me, but much like all the ex-Giants, I look forward to seeing him at practice any time he wants to be here.” On developing team chemistry In one change from Ben McAdoo, coach Shurmur moved the offensive linemen’s lockers together. Previously they had been scattered about the locker room. He believes that little things like that can add up and help build a cohesive team.Shurmur said, “[Football is] the ultimate team sport and team chemistry is one of the most important things, and that’s why it’s so important. Players can train off on their own and then we could come together and put something together and play, but the ability to train with each other and build that bond that they care about one another and they’re doing what they do for their teammates. I talk about team all the time, and I’m very fortunate here that we’ve got guys that find team things to talk about.” Shurmur added that, he is “constantly talking team” and said, “I really do believe if we’re going to get where we need to go, we need to be a really galvanized group of guys.” And since becoming head coach, Shurmur has constantly and consistently talked about the need to build relationships. That too, he believes, can help build and maintain team unity.“I think going back to when I first got here and it’s one of the things on my list I wanted to do this time around from the last time,” Shurmur said, “is just start to build relationships with the players, and the players understand how important team is. They understand how important presence is, how important a good performance in practice is, and so those are things you talk about and hopefully you head off problems because there’s a pre-existing relationship there. If we just go about our business and all show up, and pretend like we’re just going to do our jobs and then move on willy-nilly, well, it doesn’t work that way.” On Eli Manning and Odell Beckham Jr. The Giants’ starting quarterback has barely played in preseason and their superstar wide receiver has yet to play at all. To make up for lost opportunities, the two got in some extra-curricular work Tuesday afternoon. It was a development that Shurmur was happy to see. “They just want to get on the same page,” Shurmur said [url=http://www.newyorkgiantsteamonline.com/saquon-barkley-jersey]http://www.newyorkgiantsteamonline.com/saquon-barkley-jersey[/url] , “and at this point, we’re still practicing with all 90 guys. Some of the general reps together aren’t as many, and I can see right now through the window they’re out there doing it again. But I’m used to that. Typically a quarterback will say, ‘hey, listen, after practice let’s get a stop nine. After practice, let’s get this, let’s get that.’ They’re out there doing it now, which is a good thing.”Despite being born 11 years apart, and with obvious personality differences, Shurmur does recognize one common trait between Manning and Beckham. He said, “They’re definitely both perfectionists. I think they’re not from the same generation, though. You have Odell and then you have Eli. They give me grief because I talk about his age. It’s real – unless they faked his birth certificate, I think he’s 37. Odell is much younger. Because of that, there’s a difference in how they look at things, but they’re both perfectionists.”(Note: Strictly speaking, Eli and Beckham are both millennials. The generation is typically given to begin at 1980, and Eli was born in 1981.) On the rivalry with the New York JetsFinally, as the new guy in town, Shurmur was asked about the intra-city rivalry between the Giants and Jets. In answering the question, he might have earned the wrath of most of the New York metropolitan area. “I’ve heard a little bit,” Shurmur said, “but I’m also a guy who thinks you can root for the Yankees and then root for the Mets. But you know I’m a little off center.” Personally speaking, I can appreciate where he’s coming from. If you’re not steeped in the New York rivalry, it can be hard to see what the big deal is. But still, in New York City, it’s a big deal. (I’m a Yankees fan who roots for the Mets when they aren’t playing the Yankees. But that’s a story for the comments section.) But what is Shurmur looking for Friday night? He said, “We’re going to go out and compete with the Jets and try to do what we can to get our team right, and do what we can to try to win the game. That runs parallel, and I’ve heard there’s a little bit of a rivalry here, so we’ll deal with it. I’ve got a lot of respect for Todd Bowles and, certainly, we’ve already talked about one of their players, so we don’t need to go into that anymore. I’ve got a lot of respect for what they are as an organization and I think we’re both going to play this game with the same thing in mind – get our team better, find out what our team is all about.”
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: 2003-10-19

wwwe

<strong>adidas tubular</strong>

<strong>kobe basketball shoes</strong>

<strong>cat boots</strong>

<strong>adidas yeezy</strong>

<strong>michael kors outlet online</strong>

<strong>off white hoodie</strong>

<strong>adidas shoes</strong>